OnePlus 6T is one of the most popular devices, launched by OnePlus till date. It is one of the bestselling value for money devices out there. And there are thousands of users who are using this device as their daily driver. So, if you are a OnePlus 6T user, and you want to root your device, then you just have come to the right place. Because, in this guide, we’ll share the method of rooting OnePlus 6T easily without any issues. So, you can just follow the below process and root your device easily without any issues.
To Root OnePlus 6T, you just have to follow the steps correctly. As OnePlus devices gets the latest version of Android OS through OTA updates, it’s a little bit trickier to root the device compared to other devices. In other Android devices with old version of Android OS, you can root them with several rooting apps. However, in OnePlus 6T, you have to unlock the bootloader of the device, install TWRP recovery, and then you can start the rooting process. Altough the rooting process looks not that simple, but you can just follow the below steps, and do that easily. Below, we have tried to describe how you can root your device.
Why Root OnePlus 6T?
Well, there could be various reasons why you should root your device. Below, we have described some of them.
1. Get Control Over your Device
The first reason why people prefers to root their device is because of getting superuser permission. Usually, Android doesn’t allow it’s users to access system files. So, altough you can customize some interface related things on an Android device, you won’t be able to tweak the system files. Rooting gives you access to the system files of your Android device. So, if you want to make changes to your system files, you can do that easily without any issues. For that, you have to root your device, and get superuser permission.
2. Install Root Apps
There are some Root Apps are available for Android devices, that works only on Rooted devices. Sometimes, these apps can be useful. And Android enthusiastics often wants to enjoy these apps on their Android device. But, on non-rooted devices, you won’t be able to use these apps. Because, they ask for root permission on your device. So, if you want to install these apps, you have to root your Android device and then use these root apps.
3. Remove Bloatware
System bloatware can be aweful. On some Android devices, you get pre-installed apps that you can’t uninstall. These apps ocupy space on your device and sometimes, they cause battery drain issue. So, if you want to remove these bloatware from your device, you have to use a bloatware removal app that requires root permission. So, people root their device and use bloatware or system app removal tools to remove bloatware from their device. Using these tools, you can remove bloatware from Android easily without any issues.
4. Customize Device
We all know how customizable Android devices are. You can customize various things on your Android device and make the interface of your device look like you want. There are various launcher apps are available for Android devices that you can use to customize. However, sometimes, some Android users needs more customization on their devices. They need to customize system things like boot log, status bar style etc on their devices. So, to customize these things you need to root your Android device. Without a rooted device, it’s not possible to custmize these advanced options on your Android device. So, you have to root your device to do that.
Rooting OnePlus 6T
Well, you can root Android without PC. But, there are some devices like OnePlus 6T that requires more work to root the device. These devices comes with the latest version of Android OS. So, the rooting process isn’t that easy on these devices.
However, if you own a OnePlus 6T device, and you want to root it, you can just follow the below process. Below, we have simplified how you can root the device easily. Below, we also have described what are the prerequisites that you need to root your device.
Here is a simple timeline of rooting your OnePlus 6T device: Backup your All Data>Unlock Bootloader>Install TWRP Recovery>Install Magisk too root the device.
As you can see, there are several steps that you need to follow to successfully root your device. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be able to do that easily without any issues.
Prerequisites to Root OnePlus 6T
There are prerquisites that you need to follow for rooting OnePlus 6T. Below, we have described them. So, you can read them and confirm before rooting your device. Just read the prerequisites to know what are the things that you need to do before rooting the device.
- Make sure you take a backup of the device. Unlocking the bootloader to install recovery image might wipe all data from the device. So, you have to make sure that you take backup of your important data from the device.
- You need a PC to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP recovery image on OnePlus 6T.
- Install ADB & Fastboot on your PC to unlock bootloader and flash TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6T.
- Install required drivers on your PC so that you can connect your device to your PC.
- Original/compatible USB cable to connect your device.
- OEM Unlocked device (we have described the process below).
- Make sure your OnePlus 6T device has 50%+ battery remaining. If it’s not charged, and has low battery, don’t begin the process. Because, if it turns off during rooting process, you’ll end up bricking your device.
- Ultimately, ROOT YOUR DEVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBLITY OF ANYTHING WRONG HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE. We just tell you the regular process of Rooting OnePlus 6T, and you have to do the main works yourself. So, before doing anything, just make sure your know what your are doing.
Here are the download links of the files that you need to root OnePlus 6T. Excluding the magisk .zip file, you need to download all the files on your PC.
How to Root OnePlus 6T Easily?
Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
You have to root your device with Magisk. And to flash Magisk, you need TWRP recovery. To install TWRP Recovery on your device, you have to unlock the bootloader of the device. Yes, the process is little bit complicated. But, as we have described the whole process step by step, you can just follow the process, and root your device easily without any issues. Just make sure you follow prerequisites before beginning the steps. If you are ready to root your device, then just begin the bootloader unlock process that we have described below.
To begin the process, you have to do some changes in the Settings option of your device.
- First, go to Settings>About Phone>Tap on build number option 5-6 times. It’ll enable the Developers options settings in the Settings option of your device. After tapping you’ll get the message that developers option has been enabled.
- Now, go to Settings>Developer option. There, you’ll find several advanced developer options. No need to touch anything, you just have to enable 3 things from there.
- Enable Advanced Reboot, USB Debugging, & OEM Unlocking option from the developer option.
- As the OxygenOS of OnePlus comes with Advanced reboot option, you can reboot directly to bootloader of the device from the restart menu.
- So, just press the power button of your device, and click on ‘Bootloader’ option. It’ll boot the device to bootloader.
- Now, connect your device via USB cable to your PC.
- On your PC, go to the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- There, press Shift+Right click and you’ll get the option to ‘Open Powershell Window Here’.
- Now, enter the below command to know if the device is connected or not.
- If it’s showing the device, then enter the below command to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 6T.
- Now, when you enter this command, you’ll get a confirmation message on your device that you are going to unlock the bootloader of the device. Just press the volume keys to select ‘Unlock the bootloader’ and press the power button to confirm.
That’s it. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of the device. Now, follow the next process to install TWRP recovery on your device.
Step 2: Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6T
In this step, you have to install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 6T device. So, you can follow the below process to do that easily. OnePlus devices comes with it’s own recovery. However, with the stock recovery of the device, we can’t install Magisk on the device. That’s why you need to install TWRP Recovery image on the device to install Magisk .zip file. Follow the below steps to do that.
- First of all, you need to download the special TWRP recovery image for OnePlus 6T. Use the above download links to download the TWRP image on your PC. When you download the TWRP recovery image, just move it to the Adb and Fastboot folder on your PC. Rename the recovery image to twrp.img for simplification.
- Now, boot your OnePlus 6T into recovery mode by pressing the power button and clicking on ‘Bootloader’ option.
- When the device boot into bootloader mode, connect it to your PC via USB cable.
- Now, go to the Adb and Fastboot folder on your PC and press Shift key+Right click.
- Then, click on ‘Open powershell window here’ option.
- Now, enter the below command to boot into TWRP recovery.
- It’ll install the TWRP recovery image on your OnePlus 6T device. Just wait until the completes the process.
- After it finishes flashing the recovery image, enter the following command to reboot your device into recovery.
That’s it. It’ll boot the device to TWRP recovery. Now, you just need to install magisk with TWRP to root your OnePlus 6T smartphone. So, Follow the process below to do that.
Step 3: Flash Magisk on OnePlus 6T
When it comes to rooting modern Android devices, Magisk comes to the top. Magisk is an advanced rooting tool for Android devices. It has several options with secured options. The benifit that you get when you root your Android device with magisk is, it allows you to hide root for particular applications.
For example, some banking and financial apps doesn’t work on rooted Android devices. But, you can hide root with Magisk and then use those apps without any issues. Also, to root your device with Magisk, you just need to flash the magisk .zip file to your device. And it has the highest success rate when it comes to rooting modern Android devices with the latest version of Android OS.
To root OnePlus 6T with Magisk, you can just follow the below process. In this process, you don’t need to use your PC.
- Download the magisk flashable .zip file on your Android device from the download section of this post. Make sure you place it in the internal storage of your device.
- Now, boot your OnePlus 6T to recovery mode. You can press the power button and click on ‘Recovery’ to boot the device to recovery.
- Then, when the device boots up in Magisk recovery, click on ‘Install’.
- Now, locate and select the magisk .zip file.
- Flash the .zip file on your device.
That’s it. Now, just reboot your device normally and you’ll see that magisk has been installed on your device. And it has successfully rooted your OnePlus 6T device. As you can see, it’s really easy to root OnePlus 6T with magisk.
So, guys, I hope you liked this guide about rooting OnePlus 6T. Above, I have tried to describe the rooting process as simple as possible. So, you can just follow the process, and root your device without any issues. Altough it looks hard and complicated rooting for OnePlus 6T, in reality, if you follow the steps correcting, you’ll be able to root it easily. If you find any issues doing the above steps, just comment down in the comment section below, and we’ll try to help you. You can also provide your feedback in the comment section below.